The Tennessee name change process:
- Get your Tennessee proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Tennessee DPS for your Tennessee driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Tennessee voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Tennessee banks, Tennessee utilities, and others here.
Try our Tennessee Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Tennessee name change process:
1. Tennessee Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Tennessee Marriage Certificate, Tennessee Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
To get a Tennessee marriage certificate contact the county clerk from the office where you obtained your marriage license.
For a Tennessee divorce decree, contact the county clerk in the family court where you received your divorce order.
3. Tennessee Driver’s License Name Change
Tennessee Driver’s License Name Change
Tennessee requires that you change your name on your license and other within 10 days of the change.
While you will have to get this done in person the good news is that you can get most all of the forms online.
After you have your Tennessee proof of name change document (see Step 1) and you have notified the Social Security Administration (see Step 2), you must go in person to your local Tennessee DMV with the following documents:
- your Tennessee certified or original proof of legal name change document;
- this completed form; and
- payment of the $10.00 fee.
There’s good news here. Unlike many other states Tennessee actually updates documents, such as your vehicle’s registration automatically.
But your driver’s license will not reflect your new name unless you get a new one!
To get a new driver’s license with your new name, simply complete this form, and pay the fee of $10. You will likely want to get a new driver’s license to avoid confusion.
Tennessee Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
As described above, your registration is already taken care of.
To get change your name on your vehicle’s title, simply:
- complete this form;
- supply your current vehicle’s title; and the
- fee of $15.
Moving? You can change your address my emailing the South Dakota DPS with the following information.
- Your SD driver’s license number;
- Date of Birth; and
- Your name as it appears on the driver’s license.
It’s important to note, however, that this will NOT change the address on your driver’s license.
To change it on your driver’s license it’s basically the same process of changing your name, so you should likely do it at the same time. You’ll need to go in person to your local Driver’s Exam Station with:
- your current compliant license w/ the gold star in the right corner;
- two address documents proving your physical address; and the
- the $15 fee.
Tennessee also requires you alert the MVA within 10 days too! The good news is that if you basically complete the same documents and handle it while you’re changing your name. You’ll note while filling out the above paperwork that the forms also have a section for changing your address. It’s fairly self-explanatory, but if you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comments.
Tennessee Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!