The Maryland name change process:
- Get your Maryland proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Maryland DPS for your Maryland driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Maryland voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Maryland banks, Maryland utilities, and others here.
Try our Maryland Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Maryland name change process:
1. Maryland Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Maryland Marriage Certificate, Maryland Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
To get an Maryland marriage certificate, divorce decree or birth certificate:
************[INSERT STATE SPECIFIC DATA HERE]*********
3. Maryland Driver’s License Name Change
Maryland Driver’s License Name Change
Maryland requires that you change your name on your license and other within 30 days of the change.
Unfortunately, you may not do this online or through the mail. You must go to an MVA full service office, in person, with the following documents:
- your Maryland original or certified proof of legal name change document;
- original Maryland license or ID card to prove your identity; and
- the filing fee of $20 (for duplicate or corrected license); $72 (for a new driver’s license). See Maryland’s fees for other filing fees and up to date information.
- NOTE that you may also be required to provide additional proof of Maryland residency and U.S. citizenship. Common documents to demonstrate these, include:
- S. citizenship or other status: Social Security card, tax documents (a recent W2), a U.S. passport, or U.S. visa and/or other U.S. immigration documents, etc.
- Maryland resident: Utility bills, lease agreement, etc.
- Maryland MVA Sources of Proof.
Maryland Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Make sure you also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration. You can do this at the same time as your name change visit, or you can also mail it to the main Maryland MVA branch.
To do it in person, you’ll need the same documents listed above for your driver’s license (or ID card) name change (i.e., proof of name change and driver’s license).
In addition, bring the following:
- a completed Title Form;
- your current title, which you’ll have to give to them; and
- the fee of $40 (again, see Maryland’s fees for details).
Most people like to take care of everything at one time, when they’re there. To do so, make sure you also request an updated Registration as well. The fee is only $5.
You can also do this with Maryland’s online tool.
Moving? Maryland also requires you alert the MVA within 30 days too! The good news is that if you basically complete the same documents and handle it while you’re changing your name.
If you’re moving some time after changing your name, you can still take care of the process online using the Maryland Address Change tool.
If you’d prefer for some reason to use the mail, complete the Maryland address change form and mail it in.
In either case, you need to carry around a “correction attachment card” with the original license. The MVA will send it to your new address.
4. Maryland Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Maryland Voter Registration Name Change
Visit our Voter Registration page for further details.