The New Mexico name change process:
- Get your New Mexico proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the New Mexico DPS for your New Mexico driver’s license name change;
- You may update your New Mexico voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update New Mexico banks, New Mexico utilities, and others here.
Try our New Mexico Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the New Mexico name change process:
1. New Mexico Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
New Mexico Marriage Certificate, New Mexico Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
New Mexico Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the New Mexico Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $10.00 per copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
New Mexico Vital Records
P.O. Box 25767
Albuquerque, NM 87125
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the NM Vital Records. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the New Mexico Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of New Mexico Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a New Mexico divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. New Mexico Driver’s License Name Change
New Mexico Driver’s License Name Change
To update the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Department of your name change, visit in person with the following:
- your New Mexico certified or original legal name change document; and
- payment of the fee $18 (4-yr. renewal) or $34 (8 yr. renewal).
New Mexico Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration while you’re at the MVD.
For your vehicle title and registration be prepared to “transfer” title to your new name by completing the title transfer form, but BEFORE YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE TO ASK THE NEW MEXICO MVD. We have not been able to confirm the procedure. In other jurisdictions, they have you:
- Complete the transfer form putting your new name in the “Seller” portion; and
- Pay a fee.
Please confirm in the comments or raise any issues you have here and we’ll be certain to update it for future users! Thanks in advance.
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. See our moving links below in Step 4.
Note that New Mexico requires you do this within 10 days of the move.
- online address change — https://eservices.mvd.newmexico.gov/eTapestry/_/
4. New Mexico Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
New Mexico Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!