The Louisiana name change process:
- Get your Louisiana proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Louisiana DPS for your Louisiana driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Louisiana voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Louisiana banks, Louisiana utilities, and others here.
Try our Louisiana Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Louisiana name change process:
1. Louisiana Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Louisiana Marriage Certificate, Louisiana Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Louisiana Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Louisiana Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $15.00 per copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Bureau of Vital Records and Statistics
P.O. Box 60630
New Orleans, LA 70160
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the Bureau of Vital Records and Statistics. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Louisiana Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Louisiana Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the Clerk of Court in the parish where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Louisiana divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk in the parish that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. Louisiana Driver’s License Name Change
Louisiana Driver’s License Name Change
To change your name on your driver’s license or ID card, visit the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles in person with the following:
- your current Louisiana driver’s license or ID card;
- proof of insurance for a vehicle (if you have one; not for state ID card requests);
- your Louisiana certified or original legal name change document; and
- payment of the fee $13 (plus an additional “local” fee that can be up to $4, depending upon your county).
- NOTE: if you are getting an EDL (or, an Enhanced Driver’s License or ID card, be prepared to supply additional identification documents.
Louisiana Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
To change your name on your vehicles title, be prepared to “transfer” title to your new name by completing a title transfer form as if you’re selling the car, and then, pay the appropriate title fee.
BEFORE YOU DO THIS, please double check with the Louisana OMV first! If this process is accurate, you can transfer your vehicle’s title online here.
Please confirm in the comments or raise any issues you have here and we’ll be certain to update it for future users! Thanks in advance.
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Coordinate doing this to fit your needs, but note that there will be many other companies to update of your address change. See our moving links below in Step 4.
Note that Louisiana requires you do this within 10 days of the move.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION:
4. Louisiana Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Louisiana Voter Registration Name Change
Louisiana actually has an online voter registration tool that many people prefer to use.