The Massachusetts name change process:
- Get your Massachusetts proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Massachusetts DPS for your Massachusetts driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Massachusetts voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Massachusetts banks, Massachusetts utilities, and others here.
Try our Massachusetts Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Massachusetts name change process:
1. Massachusetts Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Massachusetts Marriage Certificate, Massachusetts Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Massachusetts Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Massachusetts Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $20.00 per copy in person; and $32.00 through the mail.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Registry of Vital Records and Statistics
150 Mount Vernon Street
Dorchester, MA 02125-3105
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Massachusetts Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Massachusetts Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Massachusetts divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. Massachusetts Driver’s License Name Change
Massachusetts Driver’s License Name Change
Count yourself as very lucky that you live in Massachusetts. It actually has one of the easiest systems for changing your name on your driver’s license and other vehicle related documents.
To change your name on driver’s license, visit the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) in person with the following:
- a completed application form [download here];
- your Massachusetts certified or original legal name change document; and
- payment of the $25 fee.
Massachusetts Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Good news here! You don’t need to update it because in Massachusetts, your name is automatically changed in their system.
If you want the name change to appear on your vehicle’s registration or certificate of title you have to go through an additional process.
More good news here! You can actually do this online in Massachusetts. There’s a fee of $25 for duplicate title. Make sure you’re able to supply:
- the license plate type;
- your Massachusetts driver’s license number; and
- the registration or license plate number of the vehicle.
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Make sure you also update the federal forms. See our moving links below in Step 4.
- LEGAL NAME CHANGE — http://www.mass.gov/courts/selfhelp/name-changes/
- FIREARMS — http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/change-of-address-notification-rev-08-20-13.pdf
4. Massachusetts Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Massachusetts Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!