The Maine name change process:
- Get your Maine proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Maine DPS for your Maine driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Maine voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Maine banks, Maine utilities, and others here.
Try our Maine Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Maine name change process:
1. Maine Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Maine Marriage Certificate, Maine Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Maine Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Maine Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $15.00 per copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention
11 State House Station
220 Capitol Street
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the Treasurer, State of Maine. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Maine Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Maine Marriage Certificates
Maine marriage certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Maine divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. Maine Driver’s License Name Change
Maine Driver’s License Name Change
Make sure to update the Maine Secretary of State within 30 days of changing your name and get your name changed on your Maine ID card or driver’s license.
Visit the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles in person with:
- your Maine certified or original legal name change document; and
- payment of the fee ($30 for renewals that last 6 years; and $5 for replacements).
- NOTE: the Maine BMV does not have much information on the Maine name change process. Unfortunately, you must contact your local BMV for further information on the process.
FORM (driver’s license).
Maine Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration while you’re at the DMV.
For your vehicle title be prepared to “transfer” title to your new name by completing the title transfer form, but BEFORE YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE TO ASK THE MAINE BMV person. We have not been able to confirm this procedure. In other jurisdictions, they generally have you:
- Complete the transfer form putting your new name in the “Seller” portion; and
- Pay a fee ($33 for title, nothing for registration)
You may need to provide an odometer reading, and furthermore, if there’s a lienholder, be sure to contact that institution as it will need to complete the title name change process for you.
Please confirm in the comments or raise any issues you have here and we’ll be certain to update it for future users! Thanks in advance.
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Coordinate doing this to fit your needs, but note that there will be many other companies to update of your address change. See our moving links below in Step 4.
ONLINE MAINE SERVICE to try and update your address (YOU CANNOT USE IT TO UPDATE YOUR NAME CHANGE). If you have any questions, please contact the Maine BMV at (207) 624-9000 x 52114 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Maine Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Maine Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!