Wisconsin Name Change Online and Free

The Wisconsin name change process:

  1. Get your Wisconsin proof of name change document;
  2. Update the SSA;
  3. Visit the Wisconsin DPS for your Wisconsin driver’s license name change;
  4. You may update your Wisconsin voter registrationpassport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
  5. Update Wisconsin banks, Wisconsin utilities, and others here.

Try our Wisconsin Name Change Online Tool for Free

Online Name Change for Free

Read about the Wisconsin name change process:

1. Wisconsin Legal Proof of Name Change Documents

Get your proof of Wisconsin Name Change Document, Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree proving your name change.

Wisconsin Marriage Certificate, Wisconsin Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates

In Wisconsin, the Department of Health, Office of Vital Records maintains copies of birth certificates. You may request copies for $20.00 for Certified Birth, Certified Marriage Certificates, and Certified Divorce records.

Mail your request, along with the fee. Make out your personal check or money order payable to the State of Wisconsin Vital Records. 

You should include:

  • a copy of your government issued ID,
  • self-addressed business size (#10) envelope; and
  • the fee of $20 for the first certified copy and $3.00 for each additional copy.

Complete the form, or letter request, then, send it here:

WI Vital Records Office
1 West Wilson Street
P.O. Box 309
Madison, WI 53701-0309

Certified copies of Marriage Certificates are ALSO generally available in Wisconsin by contacting the county clerk in the county where the marriage license was issued.

Divorce Decrees in Wisconsin can obtained by contacting the Clerk of the Court where the divorce was issued.

SOURCES – Wisconsin State Vital Records. Check their website for updated fees and to confirm forms as necessary.

You may also contact the Wisconsin Customer Service line for further information: 608-266-1373.

Get a legal name change through court order.

2. Social Security Name Change

Social Security Name Change

3. Wisconsin Driver’s License Name Change

DMV Name Change, Registration and Title

Wisconsin Driver’s License Name Change

You must visit your local Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in person to change your name on your driver’s license or ID card.

To do this, make sure you bring your:

  • your current Wisconsin ID card, driver’s license;
  • an original or certified copy of your Wisconsin, legal name change document;
  • S. Birth Certificate (or foreign documents);
  • Wisconsin Residency documents (e.g., utility bills, leasing agreement, paycheck, etc.);
  • Legal U.S. status (e.g., U.S. visa, permanent resident card, etc.); and
  • the fee of $14 for a driver’s license; & $16 for an ID card.

Some of these items are specific to your county.

Wisconsin Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change

In Wisconsin, it appears you are not required to change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration. Please contact your local DMV to confirm this.

Moving? In Wisconsin you need to notify the DMV within 20 days. You can notify of them of the change in person (and in writing), as described above, when getting your driver’s license. Make sure to bring some proof, such as your utility bills or leasing agreements.

You can also notify them in writing through the mail. Make sure to see our moving links below in Step 4 to update the IRS, USPS and others!

4. Wisconsin Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes

Wisconsin name change on voter registration

Wisconsin Voter Registration Name Change

Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!

Moving? IRS and USPS Name Change forms and information.

Traveling? Passport Name Change forms and information.

 5. Telling Everyone Else about your Name Change

Change your name with Wisconsin banks, credit cards and everyone else.

Leave a comment