Kansas Name Change Online and Free

The Kansas name change process:

  1. Get your Kansas proof of name change document;
  2. Update the SSA;
  3. Visit the Kansas DPS for your Kansas driver’s license name change;
  4. You may update your Kansas voter registrationpassport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
  5. Update Kansas banks, Kansas utilities, and others here.

Try our Kansas Name Change Online Tool for Free

Online Name Change for Free

Read about the Kansas name change process:

1. Kansas Legal Proof of Name Change Documents

Get your proof of Kansas Name Change Document, Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree proving your name change.

Kansas Marriage Certificate, Kansas Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates

Kansas Birth Certificate

 You may need your birth certificate to demonstrate your U.S. citizenship or ID. You can get a certified copy for $15 (check or money order made out to Vital Statistics) at your Kansas Office of Vital Statistics by writing here:

Curtis State Office Building
1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 120
Topeka, Kansas 66612-2221

Kansas Marriage Certificate and Divorce Certificate

You may be able to get marriage certificates for a $15 fee. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to determine if they are certified. Please double check before going.

If it’s not certified you can generally get a certified copy from the Kansas county clerk where you obtained your marriage license or where your divorce was issued.

Get a legal name change through court order.

2. Social Security Name Change

Social Security Name Change

3. Kansas Driver’s License Name Change

DMV Name Change, Registration and Title

Kansas Driver’s License Name Change

Kansas law is that you must change your name on driver’s license within 10 days of the change.

You must go to a local Kansas Driver’s License Office in person with the following: (1) your Kansas proof of legal name change; (2) proof of ID (such as a birth certificate or U.S. passport; see the list below for more); and (3) payment of $16 ($12 for an ID card).

Kansas Accepted List of documents


KS Division of Vehicles at (785) 296-3963, or e-mail them at dl@kdor.ks.gov.

Kansas Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change

You should also change your name on vehicle’s title and registration (fee $10 and $1, respectively) when you’re changing your name. You must do it 10 days too!

To change your name on these documents bring the same documents, plus: (1) your vehicle’s title with the purchaser section completed with your name change; (2) proof of Kansas auto insurance; (3) IF there is a lien holder, such as your bank, make sure to complete FORM TR-128; and (4) the filing fee (fee $10 and $1, respectively).

Kansas Address Name Change

If you are moving, make sure to notify the Kansas DMV in 10 days of address change too! You should simply do it while you are changing your name.  We have more moving stuff in the next step as well. Make sure to click on the Moving icon to update the IRS and USPS.

4. Kansas Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes

Kansas name change on voter registration

Kansas Voter Registration Name Change

To change your name on your Kansas Voter Registration you basically re-register, which can be done online here.

To do it via mail or in person, mail or take your completed this Kansas voter registration form to your local Kansas county election office.

Moving? IRS and USPS Name Change forms and information.

Traveling? Passport Name Change forms and information.

 5. Telling Everyone Else about your Name Change

Change your name with Kansas banks, credit cards and everyone else.