The Minnesota name change process:
- Get your Minnesota proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Minnesota DPS for your Minnesota driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Minnesota voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Minnesota banks, Minnesota utilities, and others here.
Try our Minnesota Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Minnesota name change process:
1. Minnesota Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Minnesota Marriage Certificate, Minnesota Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Minnesota Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Minnesota Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $26.00 per copy, and $19.00 for each additional copy.
Mail in your required documents, with a notarized application to the following address:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering – Vital Records
P.O. Box 64499
St Paul, MN 55164
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the Minnesota Department of Health. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Minnesota Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Minnesota Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Minnesota divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
2. Social Security Name Change
3. Minnesota Driver’s License Name Change
Minnesota Driver’s License Name Change
Make sure to update the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Driver and Vehicle Services within 30 days of changing your name.
To do so, visit your local Vehicle Services office in person and request a duplicate license or a license renewal.
For a duplicate license you will need:
- your Minnesota certified or original legal name change document;
- your current Minnesota driver’s license or ID card; and
- payment of the fee — $14.75 for a duplicate.
If you license has been expired over a year, you’ll need show additional identification documents. See the Proof of Identification (primary and secondary) section for more details.
For a license renewal you will need:
- your MN legal name change document;
- completed renewal application (form available in office);
- current MN driver’s license or ID;
- Social Security Card; and
- The filing fee ($25.25 for a standard license renewal).
Note that fees will vary depending upon or a list of all fees see the Minnesota Fees areas.
Minnesota Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration while you’re at the DMV. You can do it in person or through the mail.
Many people decide to do it all at once. To do so, be sure to bring all of the documents listed above (i.e., legal name change documentation; photo ID) and:
- a completed Form PS2025;
- Your current title; and
- The filing fee ($10 + $7.25 name change fee).
As always, please confirm in the comments or raise any issues you have here and we’ll be certain to update it for future users! Thanks in advance.
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Coordinate doing this to fit your needs, but note that there will be many other companies to update of your address change. See our moving links below in Step 4.
Note that Minnesota requires you do this within 10 days of the move.
- LEGAL NAME CHANGE — http://mncourts.gov/Help-Topics/Name-Change.aspx
4. Minnesota Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Minnesota Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!