The Montana name change process:
- Get your Montana proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Montana DPS for your Montana driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Montana voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Montana banks, Montana utilities, and others here.
Try our Montana Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Montana name change process:
1. Montana Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Montana Marriage Certificate, Montana Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Montana Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Montana Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $12.00 per copy and $5.00 for each additional copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Office of Vital Statistics
MT Dept. of Public Health and Human Services
111 N Sanders, Rm. 6
P.O. Box 4210
Helena, MT 59604
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the Montana Vital Records. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Montana Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Montana Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Montana divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
2. Social Security Name Change
3. Montana Driver’s License Name Change
Montana Driver’s License Name Change
First, good news! In Montana you can set an appointment to avoid lines. Schedule your appointment for your Montana driver’s license name change.
To change your name on your Montana driver’s license you must go to your Montana Motor Vehicle Division’s (MVD) driver license exam station in person with the following.
Then, bring with you the following:
- your Montana certified or original legal name change document;
- Your current valid Montana driver’s license, ID, or other form of primary documentation proving your prior name; and
- payment of the $10 (for a driver’s license).
- NOTE: you may need a few additional documents, some of the common ones include:
- Proof of Montana residency (such as a utility bill or leasing agreement);
- Certified Birth Certificate; and your
- Be prepared to show your Social Security Card.
- A list of required Montana documents are available here.
Montana Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration while you’re at the DMV. Since you have to go in person in makes sense to get it all done at once.
Bring the same documents listed above and request a title replacement. The fee is $12.
Moving? If you are moving, you must update the MVD within 10 days. You can update your address in Montana through the mail using this form, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. If you do it through the mail, the change won’t be reflected on your new driver’s license. See our moving links below in Step 4.
4. Montana Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Montana Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!