The Rhode Island name change process:
- Get your Rhode Island proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Rhode Island DPS for your Rhode Island driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Rhode Island voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Rhode Island banks, Rhode Island utilities, and others here.
Try our Rhode Island Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Rhode Island name change process:
1. Rhode Island Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Rhode Island Marriage Certificate, Rhode Island Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Certified Copies of Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificates
In Rhode Island, the Department of Health, Office of Vital Records maintains copies of birth certificates and marriage certificates. You may request copies for $15.00 for Birth and $20.00 for Marriage.
Mail your request, along with the fee and a copy of your government issued ID, here:
RI Department of Health
Office of Vital Records, Room 101
3 Capitol Hill
Providence, RI 02908-5097
Divorce Decrees in Rhode Island can be obtained by contacting the Clerk of the Family Court where it was issued:
Clerk of Family Court
1 Dorrance Plaza
Providence, RI 02903
2. Social Security Name Change
3. Rhode Island Driver’s License Name Change
Rhode Island Driver’s License Name Change
Visit the Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles in person with your (1) completed FORM LI-1 **make sure to complete the notarized portion; (2) your current RI driver’s license or ID card; (3) Rhode Island certified legal name change document; and (4) the fee $6.50.
Rhode Island Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Make sure you also change your name on your title and registration. To do so, you’ll need the same documents listed above for your driver’s license (or ID card) name change.
In addition, make sure to have the following: (1) completed FORM TR-1 **again, notarized; (2) proof of your car insurance; (3) your driver’s license with the new name; (4) your current title; and the fee of $51.50 for title and $6.50 for registration.
4. Rhode Island Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Rhode Island Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!