The Virginia name change process:
- Get your Virginia proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Virginia DPS for your Virginia driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Virginia voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Virginia banks, Virginia utilities, and others here.
Try our Virginia Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Virginia name change process:
1. Virginia Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Virginia Marriage Certificate, Virginia Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Certified Copies of Birth Certificates
In Virginia, the Department of Health, Office of Vital Records maintains copies of birth certificates. You may request copies for $12.00 via check or money order made payable to the State Department of Health.
Mail your request, along with the fee and a copy of your government issued ID, here:
Division of Vital Records
P.O. Box 1000
Richmond, VA 23218-1000
Certified Copies of Virginia Marriage Certificates must be obtained from the county clerk where the marriage license was issued.
Divorce Decrees in Virginia can be obtained by contacting the Clerk of the Family Court where it was issued.
3. Virginia Driver’s License Name Change
Virginia Driver’s License Name Change
To get a new Virginia driver’s license, or identification card, that reflects your name change, you must visit your local Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles with:
- a completed Driver’s License/ID card application;
- your Virginia certified copy of your legal name change documents;
- current Virginia license or ID card (or some other government proof of ID); and
- the filing fee of $20 (or $10 for the ID card).
Virginia Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
While you may update your registration online, you must update the title in person. As such, many people like taking care of all of this in one trip. To do so, make sure you have all of the above documents and the following:
- a completed Form VSA 66 (Supp and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles);
- your current title documents; and
- the $10 fee.
- You can also order a replacement registration card. [add link to form]
Moving? If so, make sure to update your address information too. While you can always take care of this online here [insert link], you can also do it in person all at once if feasible.
4. Virginia Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Virginia Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!