The North Dakota name change process:
- Get your North Dakota proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the North Dakota DPS for your North Dakota driver’s license name change;
- You may update your North Dakota voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update North Dakota banks, North Dakota utilities, and others here.
Try our North Dakota Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the North Dakota name change process:
1. North Dakota Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
North Dakota Marriage Certificate, North Dakota Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Certified copies of North Dakota Marriage Certificates must be obtained through the county clerk’s office in the court where the marriage license was obtained. Unfortunately, as of 2008, the North Dakota Department of Health’s Vital Records office no longer provides certified copies of marriage certificates.
For certified copies of a North Dakota divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy. Be certain that the order stated you were changing back to your maiden name, or you may have some additional hoops to jump through.
North Dakota Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the North Dakota Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $7.00 per copy and $4.00 for each additional copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
ND Department of Health
Division of Vital Records
600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 301
Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the ND Department of Health. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the North Dakota Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
3. North Dakota Driver’s License Name Change
North Dakota Driver’s License Name Change
Visit your local North Dakota Department of Transportation with (1) your current ID or ND driver’s license; (2) your CERTIFIED copy or original ND legal name change document; (3) payment of the fee, which is $3.
North Dakota Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Visit your local North Dakota Department of Transportation with the same documents. In fact, you may want to do it on the same trip.
Also make sure to bring:
- your current title with the “Seller” and “Buyer” section filled out. Put your new name in the Buyer section. Make sure to have your odometer reading handy too. They sometimes request it depending on the age of the vehicle.
- Complete the Purchaser’s Certification Application [link]; and
- Have the fee of $5.
North Dakota Address Change
You can either change your address at the ND DOT, or do it online [link]. Make sure you do it all at the same time if you are moving soon, so you don’t have to repeat the task more than once. It’ll likely be easiest to just get it all done in one trip to the DOT.
Also, please note that if you’re moving addresses, this can affect other things, such as voter registration. Make sure to check the links below for additional Moving links and forms (e.g., IRS, USPS, etc.).
4. North Dakota Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
North Dakota Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!