The Colorado name change process:
- Get your Colorado proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Colorado DPS for your Colorado driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Colorado voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Colorado banks, Colorado utilities, and others here.
Try our Colorado Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Colorado name change process:
1. Colorado Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Colorado Marriage Certificate, Colorado Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Colorado Marriage Certificates
Obtain your marriage certificate in Colorado from the county records office where you got your marriage license.
Get a copy of your divorce decree or certificate from the Colorado County court that issued your divorce order.
Colorado Birth Certificate
Get a copy of your birth certificate through the Vital Records Office. You can mail your request here:
Vital Records Section
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246-1530
The fee is $17.75 for the first copy and $10 for each additional one.
3. Colorado Driver’s License Name Change
Colorado Driver’s License Name Change
Go to your local Colorado DMV with (1) an original or certified copy of your Colorado Proof of Legal Name Change form; (2) your Social Security Card with your new name, or some form of proof from the SSA that your name changed; (3) Proof of ID (such as, a U.S. Passport, old Colorado ID or driver’s license, etc.); (4) Proof of your Colorado address (bank statement, utility bill, lease agreement, etc.); and (5) a license fee of $26 (ID is $15.50).
Also BRING CASH or CHECKS many Colorado DMV’s don’t accept credit cards for in-person transactions.
Colorado List of Acceptable Documents
Colorado Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
To change your name on you Colorado title (1) complete Form DR2539A; (2) bring your proof of legal name change; (3) proof of ID (U.S. Passport, driver’s license, etc.); and (4) your vehicle’s VIN number. The Fee is $8.25.
For your auto-registration, the fees and requirements vary.
4. Colorado Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Colorado Voter Registration Name Change
Use Colorado’s online tool to register!