The Kentucky name change process:
- Get your Kentucky proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Kentucky DPS for your Kentucky driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Kentucky voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Kentucky banks, Kentucky utilities, and others here.
Try our Kentucky Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Kentucky name change process:
1. Kentucky Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Kentucky Marriage Certificate, Kentucky Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Kentucky Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Kentucky Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $10.00 per copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Office of Vital Statistics
Department for Public Health
Cabinet for Health and Family Services
275 East Main Street 1E-A
Frankfort, KY 40621
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the Kentucky State Treasurer. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Kentucky Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Kentucky Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Kentucky divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. Kentucky Driver’s License Name Change
Kentucky Driver’s License Name Change
Make sure to update the Kentucky Circuit Court Clerk’s office of your name change within 10 days of changing your name.
To do so, visit in person with the following (find an office near you here):
- your Kentucky certified or original legal name change document;
- make sure your Social Security card has been updated first; and
- pay the fee $12 (the duplicate license fee).
- NOTE: You may also be required to bring a birth certificate.
- Form 2094-30 may come in handy
Kentucky Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration. For your vehicle title some jurisdictions have you “transfer” title to your new name by completing the title transfer form similar to when you’re selling a vehicle. BEFORE YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE TO ASK THE KENTUCKY DMV. We have not been able to confirm this procedure.
Please confirm in the comments or raise any issues you have here and we’ll be certain to update it for future users! Thanks in advance.
Moving? If you are moving, Kentucky also requires you update your address within 10 days!
You can handle it in person while you are changing your name, or use the Kentucky online system here.
Make sure to click on our moving links below in Step 4 to ensure you get all your forms completed, such as your IRS and USPS forms.
4. Kentucky Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Kentucky Voter Registration Name Change
Great news for Kentucky residence: You can update your voter registration online or register for the first time here.
OTHER KENTUCKY RESOURCES:
BOARD OF NURSING: http://kbn.ky.gov/apply/Pages/addchg.aspx