Washington Name Change Online and Free

The Washington name change process:

  1. Get your Washington proof of name change document;
  2. Update the SSA;
  3. Visit the Washington DPS for your Washington driver’s license name change;
  4. You may update your Washington voter registrationpassport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
  5. Update Washington banks, Washington utilities, and others here.

Try our Washington Name Change Online Tool for Free

Online Name Change for Free

Read about the Washington name change process:

1. Washington Legal Proof of Name Change Documents

Get your proof of Washington Name Change Document, Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree proving your name change.

Washington Marriage Certificate, Washington Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates

Certified Copies of Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificates

In Washington, the Department of Health, Office of Vital Records maintains copies of birth certificates. You may request copies for $20.00 for both Birth and Marriage Certificates. 

Mail your request, along with the fee. Make out your personal check or money order payable to the Department of Health.

Include a copy of your government issued ID, and include the following information with your request:

  • name on record;
  • date of birth;
  • city or county of birth;
  • mother’s maiden name; and
  • father’s name (if listed on the certificate).

Then, send it here:

Department of Health
Center for Health Statistics
P.O. Box 47814
Olympia, WA 98504-7814 

Certified Copies of Marriage Certificates MAY be obtained from the Department of Health as well. Unfortunately, we were unable to verify this at present. Please contact the Washington Department of Health directly at the SOURCES links below.

Certified copies of Marriage Certificates are generally available in Washington by contacting the county clerk in the county where it was issued.

Divorce Decrees in Washington can also be obtained by contacting the Clerk of the Family Court where it was issued. You may be able to do so through the Department of Health as well. This may save you time while getting your birth certificate. Please make sure to confirm that it is a certified copy, however, before proceeding with your request to the Department of Health. Links to their website are below.

Get a legal name change through court order.

2. Social Security Name Change

Social Security Name Change

3. Washington Driver’s License Name Change

DMV Name Change, Registration and Title

Washington Driver’s License Name Change

You must visit the Department of Licensing in person to change your name on your driver’s license or ID Card in Washington.

To do this, make sure you bring, at a minimum, your:

  • original or certified copy of your Washington legal name change document;
  • your current driver’s license or state ID; and
  • the fee of $10 (for either an ID or driver’s license).

Washington Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change

When changing your name, you will also need to update it on your vehicle’s title and registration. This can be done either in person at your local Washington Department of Licensing or at a “Quick Title” office. Or it can be done through the mail.

If you are in a rush for some reason, a Quick Title office can get you your title immediately, but you must visit them in person and pay an increased fee of $50.

Many choose to do it in person to save time as they are already making the trip to the Department of Licensing. Gather the following materials to do so. It will take about two months to received the new title.

Quick note: if you have a lienholder (the institution that you’re making car payments to), you must change your name through them. They will likely require similar documents and information, but make sure to contact them first for additional forms and requirement.

You will need the documentation listed above that you used to change your name on your license or ID card and:

  • your current original certificate of title (complete this form if it’s lost [FORM TD-420-040]);
  • completed FORM TD-420-001 (title application);
  • a copy of the Washington legal name change document; and
  • the fee of $50.

To mail in the application you can send it to:

Refunds and Title Services
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9043
Olympia, WA 98507

Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Coordinate doing this to fit your needs, but note that there will be many other companies to update of your address change. See our moving links below in Step 4.

Note that Washington requires you do this within 10 days of the move.

4. Washington Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes

Washington name change on voter registration

Washington Voter Registration Name Change

Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!

Moving? IRS and USPS Name Change forms and information.

Traveling? Passport Name Change forms and information.

 5. Telling Everyone Else about your Name Change

Change your name with Washington banks, credit cards and everyone else.