The New Jersey name change process:
- Get your New Jersey proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the New Jersey DPS for your New Jersey driver’s license name change;
- You may update your New Jersey voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update New Jersey banks, New Jersey utilities, and others here.
Try our New Jersey Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the New Jersey name change process:
1. New Jersey Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
New Jersey Marriage Certificate, New Jersey Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
New Jersey Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the New Jersey Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $25.00 per copy and $2.00 for each additional copy.
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Office of Vital Statistics & Registry
NJ Department of Health
P.O. Box 370
Trenton, NJ 08625-0370
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the New Jersey General Treasury. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the New Jersey Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of New Jersey Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a New Jersey divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. New Jersey Driver’s License Name Change
New Jersey Driver’s License Name Change
Make sure to update the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) within TWO weeks of changing your name.
To do so, visit in person with the following:
- Your New Jersey certified or original legal name change document;
- Your current New Jersey driver’s license or ID card (or another primary ID, such as a birth certificate or U.S. Passport);
- Proof of your New Jersey residency (such as a utility, credit card, lease agreement, or other bills); and
- Payment of the fee $11.
New Jersey Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration while you’re at the DMV. You can do it in person or through the mail.
For in person:
- Bring the same documents listed above along with the completed;
- Your original title and registration; and
- the fee will be $60 (for title) or $5 (for registration).
Through the mail:
Again, the same documents listed above for both the license change and the title/registration, but to do it through the mail you must also include:
A written request that includes the reason for the change of your name, including your address, year, make and VIN number of the vehicle.
Send the request to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Data Base Corrections Unit
P.O. Box 141
225 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08666
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Refer to our moving links below in Step 4.
- VOTER REGISTRATION — http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Licenses/VoterRegistration.htm
- CHANGE ADDRESS: https://emvc.state.nj.us/MVC_SAC/AVSStart.jsp
- NJ STATE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION — http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/license/forms/name_change.pdf
- LEGAL GENERAL INFO — http://co.burlington.nj.us/614/Changing-Your-Name
- LOCATIONS: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
- GENDER CHANGE FORM — http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/genderchange.pdf
- LEGAL — https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10551_namechg_adult.pdf
4. New Jersey Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
New Jersey Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!