The Michigan name change process:
- Get your Michigan proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Michigan DPS for your Michigan driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Michigan voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Michigan banks, Michigan utilities, and others here.
Try our Michigan Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Michigan name change process:
1. Michigan Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Michigan Marriage Certificate, Michigan Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
Michigan Birth Certificate
To obtain a birth certificate you may contact the Michigan Department of Health, Vital Records office. It will cost $34.00 per copy ($12.00 for a rush).
Mail in your required documents to the following address:
Vital Records Request
P.O. Box 30721
Lansing, MI 48909
You can send in a personal check or money order made out to the State of Michigan. Make certain to provide a copy of your GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID with the request.
Visit the Michigan Department of Health website here for further details or questions.
Certified copies of Michigan Marriage Certificates may be obtained through the county clerk’s office where your marriage license was issued.
For certified copies of a Michigan divorce certificate/decree, visit or contact the court clerk that issued the divorce and request a certified copy.
3. Michigan Driver’s License Name Change
Michigan Driver’s License Name Change
In Michigan, to change your name on your driver’s license or ID card visit your local Secretary of State office in person with the following:
- You valid Michigan driver’s license or state ID card;
- your Michigan certified or original legal name change document;
- proof of “legal presence”(such as a U.S. passport, birth certificate, etc.)*; and
- payment of the fee $9 (for correction) $18 (for renewal) (note that IDs are $10).
*Acceptable Proof of “legal presence” documents under Michigan law.
SOURCE for all information: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127–25240–,00.html
Michigan Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
Don’t forget to also change your name on your vehicle’s title and registration while you’re at the DMV.
Bring the same documents listed above along with:
- current registration and title; and
- the $15 fee.
- Note that if a co-owner of the vehicle can’t appear have them complete form TR-128.
Please confirm in the comments or raise any issues you have here and we’ll be certain to update it for future users! We do this often throughout the site. Thanks in advance.
Moving? If you are moving, you can update your address online, or handle it in person while you are changing your name. Also make sure to check out our moving links below in Step 4.
Note that Michigan requires you do this within 10 days of the move.
4. Michigan Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Michigan Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!