The Washington, D.C. name change process:
- Get your Washington, D.C. proof of name change document;
- Update the SSA;
- Visit the Washington, D.C. DPS for your Washington, D.C. driver’s license name change;
- You may update your Washington, D.C. voter registration, passport office (if traveling); IRS & USPS if moving; and last,
- Update Washington, D.C. banks, Washington, D.C. utilities, and others here.
Try our Washington, D.C. Name Change Online Tool for Free
Read about the Washington, D.C. name change process:
1. Washington, D.C. Legal Proof of Name Change Documents
Washington, D.C. Marriage Certificate, Washington, D.C. Divorce Certificates & Birth Certificates
To get an Washington, D.C. marriage certificate, divorce decree or birth certificate:
************[INSERT STATE SPECIFIC DATA HERE]*********
3. Washington, D.C. Driver’s License Name Change
Washington, D.C. Driver’s License Name Change
You must visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in person to change your name on your driver’s license or ID Card in Washington, D.C.
To do this, make sure you bring your:
- you current Washington, D.C., ID card or driver’s license;
- an original or certified copy of your Washington, D.C., legal name change document; and
- the fee of $20 (for either an ID or driver’s license).
Washington, D.C. Vehicle Title and Registration Name Change
You also need to change your name on the title and registration if you own a vehicle. Keep in mind that if you’re making car payments to a lienholder, you’ll need to update them of the name change and they’ll have a process a to notify the DMV.
Also, you must go in person for this too, so it’s best to have all this stuff handled in one trip. To do so, make sure to bring the items listed above (for your license/ID card) plus:
- a completed FORM DMV-CTA-001 (title application form);
- the current title and registration, or other vehicle identifying document; and
- the fee of $20 for the registration and $26 for the title.
Moving? In Washington, D.C. you need to notify the DMV within 60 days.
Good news is you can update your address online here [insert link].
You can also handle it through the mail or in person while you are changing your name and dealing with your title and registration.
Make sure to see our moving links below in Step 4 to update the IRS, USPS and others!
4. Washington, D.C. Voter Registration Name Change, Passport Name Change and/or Address Changes
Washington, D.C. Voter Registration Name Change
Get your Voter Registration name change information. You may be able to do it online!