Marriage Name Change

Newlywed Name Change Testamonials

If you go around the web, you’ll note that many services merely promise forms for government offices such as the Social Security, Passport Office and Post Office. We give you all of these name change forms for free. We provide you with simplified instructions and the same notification letters and additional forms and information that all of the pay-services do. So don’t waste your time, or money. Change your name for free by simply clicking on your state below. And make sure to tell your friends! Everyone loves to save time and money.

“When changing your name, there are so many sites trying to take your money with promises they can’t keep. Thanks for being honest and FREE! You’re right, no one stands in line for you at the DMV ;)

–Bev, MO

“Thank you SO much for this free name change service! It was so much easier than everyone was making it out to be! You are the best!”

–Cindy, HI

“Great!! Who needs a $29.95 Name Change Kit, when you give it out for free! Thanks!!!”

–Lindsay, NY

“I bought a service for over $49.95, then found you guys and returned it! It was the same information you’re giving away for FREE!!! Thanks so much :)

–Jill, NY

Name Change Tips and Help

First, make sure that you put in your Marriage License that you’re changing your name. Many states have this option and doing this will ensure that your Marriage Certificate has the required name change language. You’ll be using your Marriage Certificate as the “legal evidence” that your name has changed when notifying the relevant government agencies. As such, this is a very important step.

Another important, and often left-out name-change tip, is that you should just about always change your name with the Social Security Administration first. They will notify the IRS of your name change, and you’ll generally need to show your NEW social security card when you go to your DMV. Please, please, please. Don’t waste your time standing in line at the DMV only for them to tell you that you need to come back! Start with the Social Security Administration.

Lastly, never start the process when you’re planning a trip. As you know, the security at airports is crazy these days. You do not want your airplane ticket to have a different name than your license, or passport. Some of these identification documents can take several weeks to be mailed to you, so don’t cause yourself the extra stress. Enjoy your maiden name, go on the trip, then change it when you get back. We’ll be here waiting. Promise ;)

Click on your state below for free information on how to get started with your Marriage Name Change!

Changing Your Name After Marriage

Congratulations Miss, now soon-to-be Mrs. NewLastName! You found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, and if you’re at this website, then chances are fairly good you’re wondering how to change your last name legally. We promise not to waste any of your time. For your free marriage name change, click on your state below to get all the forms and information you’ll need to change your name. If you want to save tons of time and have a name-change professional service take care of it for you, simply select the premium name change service option.

We’ve helped almost one million people change their name, and here are the most common name change after marriage options that people tend to go with: (1) change their current middle name to their maiden name, and take their spouse’s last name (for example, Kim Noel Kardashian would become Kim Kardashian West after marrying Kanye), (2) hyphenate your maiden name and last name (so following our same example, Kim would be named Kim Noel Kardashian-West), or (3) simply take your husband’s last name (so, Kim becomes Kim Noel West). There are other options, but we got you covered with whatever you decide. With any of these after-marriage name change options, there are tons of paper work. We provide you with simplified instructions and links to the forms where there available, to help you change to your new married name.

If you are changing your name or a minor’s name for any other reason, you should get started at our Legal Name Change page.

Legal Marriage Name Change Details

If you are recently married, and have a marriage license, then your legal name change is already taken care of. Your marriage license can serve as a legal name change document. (If you do not already have a legal name change document, visit our Legal Name Change page.) However, the legal name change is only the first step. You now have to notify government organizations and other agencies of your name change to make it official.

There are several steps in the name change process. First, you need to obtain a legal name change document. This can be accomplished via a marriage certificate or divorce decree. However if you are changing your name or a child’s name for any other reason, you need to obtain a legal name change document from the court.

Choose Your State

Washington DC New Hampshire Vermont Maryland Deleware New Jersey Connecticut Rhode Island Massachusetts Maine Hawaii Alaska Florida Michigan New York Pennsylvania Ohio West Virginia Virginia North Carolina South Carolina Georgia Alabama Tennessee Kentucky Indiana Wisconsin Illinois Mississippi Louisiana Arkansas Missouri Iowa Minnesota North Dakota South Dakota Nebraska Kansas Oklahoma Texas New Mexico Colorado Arizona Utah Wyoming Montana Idaho Washington Oregon Nevada California Montana North Dakota Minnesota Wisconsin Illinois Indiana Michigan New York New York Ohio Pennsylvania Vermont New Hampshire Maine Massachusetts Rhode Island Connecticut Deleware Washington DC Virginia New Jersey Maryland North Carolina South Carolina Georgia Florida Alabama Mississippi Louisiana Texas New Mexico Arizona California Washington Oregon Colorado Oklahoma Utah Nevada Wyoming Kansas Nebraska South Dakota Missouri Iowa Arkansas West Virginia Tennessee Kentucky Idaho Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii Hawaii Alaska
Alabama Louisiana Ohio
Alaska Maine Oklahoma
Arizona Maryland Oregon
Arkansas Massachusetts Pennsylvania
California Michigan Rhode Island
Colorado Minnesota South Carolina
Connecticut Mississippi South Dakota
Delaware Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico Washington DC
Iowa New York West Virginia
Kansas North Carolina Wisconsin
Kentucky North Dakota Wyoming

COPYRIGHT © 2007-2011 Winter Rock LLC • HomeAbout UsContact UsTerms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy (the Site) is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. If you have questions that are legal in nature, please contact an attorney. Furthermore, the Site disclaims any and all connection with any state or federal government agency. does its best to obtain accurate information for each state, however the information has not been certified by a state or federal government agency. The Site does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same.