Alaska Legal Name Change

Below are the relevant state statutes, as well as links to the form petitions and instructions for obtaining a legal name change for yourself or a minor.

If, after reviewing the information below, you find the need for further legal assistance, you should visit this online legal service.

If you are seeking a marriage name change or a divorce name change, your marriage license or divorce decree can serve as your legal name change document. Thus you can proceed to Name Change Notification, the final step of the name change process. Otherwise, read the information below and follow the links to learn about obtaining a legal name change.

Alaska State Code:

Sec. 09.55.010. Jurisdiction in action for change of name. A person may bring an action for change of name in the superior court. A change of name of a person may not be made unless the court finds sufficient reasons for the change and also finds it consistent with the public interest. A change of name upon marriage, dissolution, or divorce meets these requirements.

Sec. 28.05.071. Change of Name or Address. A person who has applied for or been issued a certificate, registration, title, license, permit, or other form under this title, and who changes the person’s name or moves from the address shown on the records or forms of the Department of Administration or the Department of Public Safety, shall notify the appropriate department in writing of the change in name or address within 30 days.

Sec. 25.25.302. Action by Minor Parent. A minor parent, or a guardian or other legal representative of a minor parent, may maintain a proceeding on behalf of or for the benefit of the minor’s child.

State Name Change Petition and Instructions
Adult Form Instructions Premium Forms Premium Service
Child Form Instructions Premium Forms Premium Service

(back to top)

COPYRIGHT © 2007-2011 Winter Rock LLC • HomeAbout UsContact UsTerms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy (the Site) is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. If you have questions that are legal in nature, please contact an attorney. Furthermore, the Site disclaims any and all connection with any state or federal government agency. does its best to obtain accurate information for each state, however the information has not been certified by a state or federal government agency. The Site does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same.