Vermont Legal Name Change

Below are the relevant state statutes, as well as links to the form petitions and instructions for obtaining a legal name change for yourself or a minor.

If, after reviewing the information below, you find the need for further legal assistance, you should visit this online legal service.

If you are seeking a marriage name change or a divorce name change, your marriage license or divorce decree can serve as your legal name change document. Thus you can proceed to Name Change Notification, the final step of the name change process. Otherwise, read the information below and follow the links to learn about obtaining a legal name change.

Vermont State Code:

Sec. 811. Procedure; form. A person of age and sound mind may change his or her name by making, signing, sealing and acknowledging before the judge of the probate court of the district in which the person resides, an instrument in the following form:


________________________ District.

Be it remembered, that I, A. B. of __________________ in the county of ________________, will be hereafter known and called ____________________________.

In witness whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal this ____________ day of ____________, 20 ________.

A. B. (L. S.)

(Amended 1993, No. 174 (Adj. Sess.), § 4.)

Sec. 812. Minor. A minor may change his name by some person who, under chapter 111 of Title 14, may act for him, making, signing, sealing and acknowledging before the judge of the probate court of the district in which such minor resides, an instrument in substantially the form provided in section 811 of this title. Such instrument shall be signed by the person so acting for such minor. However, the name of the minor, if over fourteen years of age, shall not be changed without his consent given in court.

Sec. 813. Filing of instrument. An instrument changing the name, by virtue of sections 811 and 812 of this title, shall be filed in the probate court of the district in which such person or minor resides. (Amended 1971, No. 179 (Adj. Sess.), § 13.)

Sec. 814. Repealed. 1979, No. 142 (Adj. Sess.), § 26.

Sec. 815. Advertisement of change of name. The court wherein an instrument changing the name is filed under this chapter shall cause notice thereof to be published for three weeks successively in a newspaper published in the county or in an adjoining county. However, such notice shall not be published when the change of name is in connection with the adoption of a minor under the age of eighteen years. The expense of a change of name and publication shall be borne by the person whose name is changed.

Sec. 816. Certificate of change; correction of birth and marriage records. Whenever a person changes his name, as provided in this chapter, he shall provide the probate court with a copy of his birth certificate and, if married, a copy of his marriage certificate, and a copy of the birth certificate of each minor child, if any. The register of probate with whom the change of name is filed and recorded shall transmit the certificates and a certified copy of such instrument of change of name to the supervisor of vital records registration. The supervisor of vital records registration shall forward such instrument of change of name to the town clerk in the town where the person was born within the state, or wherein the original certificate is filed, with instructions to amend the original certificate and all copies thereof in accordance with the provisions of Title 18, chapter 101. Such amended certificates shall have the words "Court Amended" stamped, written or typed at the top and shall show that the change of name was made pursuant to this chapter. (Amended 1979, No. 142 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 22, 26.)

State Name Change Petition and Instructions
AdultFormInstructionsPremium FormsPremium Service
ChildFormInstructionsPremium FormsPremium Service

(back to top)