Ohio Legal Name Change Forms and Information

For an Ohio legal name change in through court order follow these steps:

  1. Download the Ohio legal name change form template;
  2. Review the general Legal Name Change and Ohio legal name change instructions carefully; and
  3. File in your local Ohio state court.

Ohio Legal Name Change State Laws:

Sec. 2717.01 General Assembly: 116. Bill Number: Amended Sub. S.B. 248 Effective Date: 12-17-86
(A) A person desiring a change of name may file an application in the probate court of the county in which the person resides. The application shall set forth that the applicant has been a bona fide resident of that county for at least one year prior to the filing of the application, the cause for which the change of name is sought, and the requested new name.

Notice of the application shall be given once by publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county at least thirty days before the hearing on the application. The notice shall set forth the court in which the application was filed, the case number, and the date and time of the hearing.

Upon proof that proper notice was given and that the facts set forth in the application show reasonable and proper cause for changing the name of the applicant, the court may order the change of name.

(B) An application for change of name may be made on behalf of a minor by either of the minor’s parents, a legal guardian, or a guardian ad litem. When application is made on behalf of a minor, in addition to the notice and proof required pursuant to division (A) of this section, the consent of both living, legal parents of the minor shall be filed, or notice of the hearing shall be given to the parent or parents not consenting by certified mail, return receipt requested. If there is no known father of the minor, the notice shall be given to the person who the mother of the minor alleges to be the father. If no father is so alleged, or if either parent or the address if either parent is unknown, notice pursuant to division (A) of this section shall be sufficient as to the father or parent.

Any additional notice required by this division may be waived in writing by any person entitled to the notice.

Sec. 3105.16 . When a divorce is granted the court of common pleas shall, if the person so desires, restore any name that the person had before the marriage.

Sec. 3105.34 . If the court determines that a marriage is void or that a judgment of nullity ought to be granted, the court may in its discretion, and regardless of whether or not a request therefore was included in the prayer of the complaint as a part of such judgment, restore any name that the person had before the marriage.

State Name Change Petition and Instructions