Social Security Name Change

Change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA):

You can submit the following through the mail or in person:

  1. Complete form SS-5, an Application for a Security Card;
  2. Include you proof of name change (marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order);
  3. Proof of Identification – something with your (your Alabama driver’s license, Alabama I.D. card, or U.S. passport–see Gov’t Accept’d Docs List for further information);
  4. Proof of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization–Gov’t Accept’d Docs List).

Next steps:

  • Once you complete the form linked below and submit it, they’ll notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in about five days.
  • Make sure your documents are originals or “certified” copies (Gov’t acceptable documents list).
  • You can take the documents in person to your local SSA office or send them by mail.  You will receive your new SSA card via mail in about 14 business days.  Your Social Security Number will not change.

Next, submit your name-change forms and documents

  • Mail your documents to
  • You must mail your ACTUAL documents, such as a birth certificate and your U.S. passport–copies are not sufficient. These items get returned after your name change is processed.