UK Legal Name Change

What is Deed Poll?

A Deed Poll is a legal document which is signed by an individual in order to establish their legal commitment to changing their name and only using their new name from this point forward. A Deed Poll legally binds the person who signs it to a particular course of action as detailed on the Deed Poll document.

The official name of the document is a Deed of Change of Name however, it is more commonly referred to as a Deed Poll.

A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three separate declarations. Signing the declaration is a legal commitment to:

• Abandoning the use of your former name;
• Using your new name only at all times;
• Requiring all persons to address you by your new name only.

A Deed Poll is considered documentary evidence of your new name and it will allow you to change your name with any relevant government agencies.

Who does Deed Poll?

A number of organisations across the UK have the legal capacity to issue a Deed of Change of Name for a small fee. It is a good idea to request several certified copies of the Deed Poll as you may need them in order to contact the relevant government agencies and also any other parties who will need to be informed, such as employers.
Some examples of Deed Poll companies include:

HM Deed Poll UK

British Deed Poll Service

UK Deed Poll Service

Deed Poll Forms

Deed Poll forms can be downloaded from any of the organisations offering a deed poll service:

HM Deed Poll UK

British Deed Poll Service

UK Deed Poll Service

Changing a Child’s Name through Deed Poll

A child’s legal name can be changed by Deed Poll as long as any individuals with parental responsibility for the child give their consent. If your child is 16 years of age or over (or approaching their 16th birthday), they must apply for their own Deed Poll. Parental consent is not necessary in this instance. There are situations where you may be able to change your child’s name without the consent of the father or mother.

A child who has been formally adopted does not need a Deed Poll to change their surname because the adoption certificate issued provides the necessary documentary evidence that the child’s surname has changed to that of the adopted family’s surname.

Should the adoptive parents wish to change their child’s forenames or surname, this is possible through Deed Poll.

Leave a comment