Missouri Legal Name Change

Start Your Name Change NOW!

Change your name with confidence. Avoid common errors and filing mistakes. Get your name changed quickly and easily.

Still not sure? Visit our Help page to learn more about our product and view our Frequently Asked Questions.

Legal Name Change Info and State Statutes

If you are opting to go through the product without the assitance of our e-guide… or if you simply want to learn more before moving ahead with the process, we have provided tons of free information to help you on your way.

We encourage you to read and learn as much as possible about the legal name change process. There is a lot to know and the process differes by state. Thus we have provided all of this information to give you an understanding of the overall process and the specific rules that may apply to you.

Below are the relevant state statutes, as well as links to the form petitions and instructions for obtaining a legal name change for yourself or a minor.

If you are seeking a marriage name change or a divorce name change, your marriage license or divorce decree can serve as your legal name change document. Thus you can proceed to Name Change Notification, the final step of the name change process. Otherwise, read the information below and follow the links to learn about obtaining a legal name change.

Our e-guide provides you with all the forms you need and walks you through the process with detailed instructions, specified to your needs and location, so you can change your name as quickly and easily as possible.

Why should you use our product?

Missouri State Code:

Sec. 527.270. Petition where presented–contents– proceedings . Hereafter every person desiring to change his or her name may present a petition to that effect, verified by affidavit, to the circuit court in the county of the petitioner’s residence, which petition shall set forth the petitioner’s full name, the new name desired, and a concise statement of the reason for such desired change; and it shall be the duty of the judge of such court to order such change to be made, and spread upon the records of the court, in proper form, if such judge is satisfied that the desired change would be proper and not detrimental to the interests of any other person. (RS Mo 1939 § 1706)

Prior revisions: 1929 § 1542; 1919 § 1992; 1909 § 2556; (1975) Wife may change name to one different from that of her husband. Matter of Natale (A.), 527 S.W.2d 402.

Sec. 527.280. Fees to be paid by petitioner. The fees for proceedings under sections 527.270 to 527.290 shall be the same as are now or may hereafter be allowed in similar cases in said court, to be paid by the petitioner.

(RS Mo 1939 § 1707) Prior revisions: 1929 § 1543; 1919 § 1993; 1909 § 2557

Sec. 527.290. Notice of change to be given, when and how. Public notice of such a change of name shall be given at least three times in a newspaper published in the county where such person is residing, within twenty days after the order of court is made, and if no newspaper is published in his or any adjacent county, then such notice shall be given in a newspaper published in the city of St. Louis, or at the seat of government.

(RS Mo 1939 § 1708) Prior revisions: 1929 § 1544; 1919 § 1994; 1909 § 2558

State Name Change Petition and Instructions
Adult Form Instructions
Child Form Instructions

(back to top)

COPYRIGHT © 2007-2011 Winter Rock LLC • HomeAbout UsContact UsTerms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy

NewLastName.org (the Site) is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. If you have questions that are legal in nature, please contact an attorney. Furthermore, the Site disclaims any and all connection with any state or federal government agency. NewLastName.org does its best to obtain accurate information for each state, however the information has not been certified by a state or federal government agency. The Site does not claim responsibility for the accuracy of the information displayed herein. Additionally, the Site expressly disclaims any and all liability for third party links or resources on the Site and any claims of negligence arising from same.